- [Instructor] In this video, I'm going to talk about a unitof length known as the meter, which you might have heard of before. It's really probably themost used unit of length in the world. And so the natural questionis how long is a meter? Well, one way to get arough sense of a meter is imagine a reasonablytall basketball player. So a good bit tallerthan your average man. So a good bit taller thanme, I'm about average height. So that's your basketball player there. He's got his basketball. He might be roughly two meters tall. So this would be two meters, one meter, and this lowercasem is short for meter. And then two meters. Another way to think about a meter is if you took a long step, if you're, let's say,seven or eight years old, and if you were to take a long step, you might travel about a meter. So that's your long step, right over there. It might be close to a meter, roughly, it's not necessarily goingto be exactly a meter, but it might be close. Now a related unit of lengthis known as the centimeter, and you might already recognize that it has the word meter in it, and it also has the word centi. Now you might alreadyknow that the word cent, 100 cents make $1. You might know the wordcentury, that's 100 years. So you might say, is this 100 meters? You'd be kind of close,but kind of far off. It's not 100 meters, it'snot bigger than a meter. It's actually a lot smaller than a meter. A centimeter, 100 of themwill equal one meter. So one way to think about itis if I write it in shorthand 100 and you normally writeit as lowercase c and m. So 100 centimeters are equal to one meter. So on these pictures right over here, a centimeter would be muchsmaller than a meter right over, even what I just drew there would be a lot less than a centimeter. And one way to think about a centimeter, it might be if you stick your finger out, your finger, depending onhow large your finger is, might be about a centimeter wide. As a grown average-sized man, my finger is actuallyabout two centimeters wide. If I take my index fingerand if I were to measure it, I would approximate itas about two centimeters. So 100 centimeters make up a meter, which hopefully makes alittle bit of sense to you. Now given what we've just learned about meters and centimeters, let's think about what isbetter to measure with, depending on the size of the thing. So if I was looking at a let'ssay fairly tall of some kind, what would I wanna measure that with? Would I be more likelyto measure that in meters or would I be more likely to measure that in the centimeters? Pause this video and think about that. Well, a fairly tall treeis going to be a lot taller than even this basketball player, so normally, people are likelyto measure this in meters. A reasonably tall tree couldbe 10 meters or 20 meters, or even in certain cases30 meters or taller. Now what if I were insteadmeasuring the length of a mouse, so my best drawing of a mousehere, draw its little paws, kind of looks like a fish with a tail. But let's say that this is a mouse, would I measure this inmeters or centimeters? Well, a mouse is much smallerin length than a tree is tall, so you would likely measurethis in centimeters. A small mouse might bemaybe five or 10 centimeters in length, right over here. Now let's compare another way or decide another way to think about whether we're measuringin centimeters or meters. Let's say that I wentto the local gymnasium, and there's a pool there. There's a pool, that'sthe water in the pool. And I were to measure the length. And I know it is 25-something, it's either 25 meters or 25 centimeters. Remember, this is the pool at the gym. Pause this video, do you think this would be25 centimeters or 25 meters? Well, as you can imagine,the length of a pool, this tall basketball player, many of them could lie down and to end to get to this length of this pool. So this would be a 25 meter pool. A 25 centimeter pool, that would actually probably be about the size of a cell phone or maybe smaller or a little bit larger, depending on the cell phonethat you're talking about. So for a pool, you'd betalking in terms of meters. What if we had a building of some kind, so this is a building right over here, and let's say it is afour storey building. And someone were to say thatit is 15 something tall, would this be 15 meterstall or 15 centimeters tall? Well, 15 centimeters, thatmight be a Lego building. A real building would be15 meters in this scenario. Now what if I were to saythe length of my thumb, the length of my thumb, right over here. And I know it is five-something, this length right overhere, it is five-something, it's either five metersor five centimeters, which one do you think it is? Well, if it was five meters, I would be a very, very, very large giant. My thumb would be twice astall or more than twice as tall as a fairly tall basketball player. So this would be fivecentimeters right over here. So hopefully that gives you a sense of meters and centimeters. And on Khan Academy,there's a lot more practice. So you can get a little bit more sense of estimating withthese, or thinking about when one unit or theother is more appropriate.
Answer: 1 meter is 100 centimeters.How do you solve a problem from centimeters to meters? ›
To convert from centimeters to meters, simply divide the number of centimeters by 100 and change the units to m. The m is an abbreviation for meters. To convert from meters to centimeters, simply multiply the number of meters by 100 and change the units to cm.How many centimeters are there in a meter multiple choice question? ›
1 meter = 100 centimeters and 1 centimeter = 1/100 meters = 10─2 meters. A centimeter can be divided into 10 millimeters (mm).Does 100 cm make 1 meter? ›
So, 1 m = 100 cm.How many cm is a 1 ruler? ›
How many centimeters does a ruler have? A standard ruler is 30 cm in length.What is the formula of cm and m? ›
To convert centimeters to meters, multiply the given centimeter value by 0.01 meters. For example, to convert 17 cm to m, multiply 17 by 0.01, we get 0.17 meters.How do you convert cm to mm for kids? ›
1 centimetre is 10mm. To find the number of mm in a given distance in cm, multiply the number of cm by 10. So, 6cm = 60mm. To convert mm to cm, divide by 10.How do you convert mm to cm for kids? ›
|Millimeter (mm)||Centimeter (cm)|
|10 mm||1 cm|
|100 mm||10 cm|
|1000 mm||100 cm|
|1 mm||0.1 cm|
|Centimeters (cm)||Meters (m)|
|1 cm||0.01 m|
|2 cm||0.02 m|
|3 cm||0.03 m|
|4 cm||0.04 m|
We know that one inch is equal to 2.54 centimeters. Thus, to convert 30 inches in cm, we have to multiply 30 inches by 2.54. (i.e.) 30 x 2.54 = 76.2 centimeters.
The waist size of a pair of trousers. Length of the fish caught. The radius of a car's tires. The distance between a person's eyes.Which is bigger 2 meters or 40 inches? ›
Therefore, 2 meters is bigger than 40 inches.
1 m = 100 cm
1 meter is 100 centimeters.
Understand that a meter is 100 cm, and one-tenth of 100 cm is 10 cm. So, one decimeter is 10 centimeters. Similarly, one decimeter is equal to 100 millimeters.How many inches makes a meter? ›
Also, read: Metric System. One meter is approximately equal to 39.3700787402 inches.Is 1 cm half an inch? ›
1 centimeter is equal to 0.3937 inches, or 1 inch is equal to 2.54 centimeters. In other words, 1 centimeter is less than half as big as an inch, so you need about two-and-a-half centimeters to make one inch.How long is 10 cm on a ruler? ›
Answer: 10 cms is equal to 3.93700787 inches
Inches and centimeters are measuring units of length. One Inch is equal to 2.54 centimeters, and there are 39.37 inches in a meter.
7 inch Ruler (18 cm)How many centimeters is 5 10 feet? ›
5 feet 10 inches in cm = [(5×12)+10] x 2.54 = 70 x 2.54 = 177.8 cm.Which is bigger cm or meter? ›
A centimeter is 100 times smaller than one meter (so 1 meter = 100 centimeters).
To convert centimeters into inches, multiply the given centimeter value by 0.393701 inches. For examples 20 cm to inches is equal to 7.87402 inches. (i.e.) 20 x 0.393701 = 7.87402.How do you calculate meters? ›
To calculate square meters, you need to know the length and width of the square or rectangle. This is also referred to as the area of the shape. The formula for calculating square meters is length x width = m2.How do you convert height to meters? ›
To convert feet to meters, you must multiply the unit by 0.304. So, for example, if you want to convert 5 feet to meters, you need to multiply 5 with 0.304.How much is a cm in math? ›
The term centimetre is abbreviated as “cm” where one centimetre is equal to the one-hundredth of a meter. In short, 1 centimetre = 0.01 meter = 10 millimeter = 0.3937 inches. The relationship between inch and cm is that one inch is exactly equal to 2.54 cm in the metric system.What are the 4 ways of measurement? ›
You can see there are four different types of measurement scales (nominal, ordinal, interval and ratio). Each of the four scales, respectively, typically provides more information about the variables being measured than those preceding it.What are the five methods of measurement? ›
- Indirect method of measurement.
- Direct method of measurement.
- Fundamental method of measurement.
- Substitution method of measurement.
- Comparison method of measurement.
Broadly speaking, there are four steps in the measurement process: (a) conceptually defining the construct, (b) operationally defining the construct, (c) implementing the measure, and (d) evaluating the measure.How many cm and mm are in an inch? ›
Let's review all the unit relationships: 1 inch = 25.4 millimeters. 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters. 1 centimeter = 10 millimeters.How long is cm to mm? ›
Thus, 1 cm is equal to 10 mm. Hence, to convert the value from cm to mm, multiply the value by 10.How can you convert into Metre into Centimetre and Millimetre explain with examples? ›
|If You Have This||Do This||To Get This|
|Centimeters (cm)||Multiply by 10 (cm * 10)||Millimeters (mm)|
|Meters (m)||Multiply by 100 (m * 100)||Centimeters (cm)|
|Centimeters (cm)||Divide by 100 (cm/100)||Meters (m)|
|Millimeters (mm)||Divide by 1000 (mm/1000)||Meters (m)|
|Units of Length|
|10 millimeters (mm)||=||1 centimeter (cm)|
|10 decimeters||=||1 meter (m)|
|10 decimeters||=||1000 millimeters|
|10 meters||=||1 dekameter (dam)|
There are 100 centimetres in one metre. Combining these facts tells us that there are 1000 millimetres in one metre. This means that in order to convert a value from millimetres to metres, we need to divide by 1000.Is it 1m or 1 m? ›
Most style manuals recommend putting a single space between a numeral and a unit: 1 m (not: 1m).How many inches is 30 cm? ›
Answer: 30 cm equals 11.811 inches.How far is 1 inch? ›
On the map 1 inch is equal to 2,000 feet on the ground, 1:2,000 (in/ft). Example 2 - Convert the 1:2,000 (in/ft) to (in/mile).How deep is 3 cm? ›
Answer and Explanation:
The answer is 1.1811 inches.
A digit (lat. digitus, "finger"), when used as a unit of length, is usually a sixteenth of a foot or 3/4" (1.905 cm for the international inch). The width of an adult human male finger tip is indeed about 2 centimetres.How can I measure centimeters without a ruler? ›
If you do not have a ruler but you need a rough estimate of an object's length in centimeters, you can use any object that is known to have a width that roughly equals one centimeter. The easiest objects to use are a standard pencil, pen, or highlighter. The width of a pencil is close to 1 cm.What objects are 1 cm? ›
- about as long as a staple.
- the width of a highlighter.
- the diameter of a belly button.
- the width of 5 CD's stacked on top of each other.
- the thickness of a notepad.
- the radius (half the diameter) of a US penny.
One meter is equal to 3.2 feet. So, to convert meters to feet, we multiply the number of meters by 3.2.
In 1983, the meter got its current definition. The meter is defined as the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458 of a second. commerce.How many millimeters are in 1 meter responses? ›
We know that one meter is approximately equal to 1000 millimeters.What is the scale of 1 centimeter to meters? ›
Centimeters to Inches Conversion Chart
To convert a centimeter measurement to a meters measurement, we will divide the centimeter value by 100 because 1 centimeter is equal to 1/ 100 meters.
The millimeter (mm) is a unit of length in the metric system, equivalent to one-thousandth of a meter and is the SI base unit of length. Thus, 1 cm is equal to 10 mm.What is the ratio of 1 cm to 1 metre? ›
Hint: We know how a metre (m) is related to centimetres (cm) and millimetres (mm). These relations are 1 m = 100 cm and 1 m = 1000 mm.How many centimeters are there in 3 meters responses? ›
|Meters (m)||Centimeter (cm)|
|1 m||100 cm|
|2 m||200 cm|
|3 m||300 cm|
|4 m||400 cm|
1000 millimeters = 1 meter. 100 centimeters = 1 meter.What size object is 1 meter? ›
A meter is a standard metric unit equal to about 3 feet 3 inches. This means that a meter is part of the metric system of measurement. Guitars, baseball bats, and yard sticks are examples of objects that are about one meter long.Which is bigger 1cm or 1 mm? ›
Both millimeters and centimeters is the unit to measure the length. One millimeter is equal to 0.1 centimeters and 1 cm is equal to 10 mm.Which is larger 1 cm or 1 mm? ›
Millimeter A millimeter is 10 times smaller than a centimeter. The distance between the smaller lines (without numbers) is 1 millimeter. 1 centimeter = 10 mm.
The centimeter is larger.What is the answer to 1cm? ›
One centimetre is equal to ten millimetres. The centimetre is abbreviated as cm.How much cm is 1 cm? ›
A centimeter is a metric unit used to measure length. 1 centimeter is equal to 10 millimeters or 0.01 meter.What is 1cm in inches fraction? ›
|Centimetre||Inches in Decimal||Inches in Fraction|
|1 cm||0.3937 in||25/64 in|
|2 cm||0.7874 in||25/32 in|
|3 cm||1.1811 in||1 (3/16) in|
|4 cm||1.5748 in||1 (37/64) in|